Windows DVD Maker

Mark Coffman's Windows Vista DVD Maker Tutorials and Help

Welcome to Windows DVD Maker Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

DVD Maker stops at 71% encoding for 24+ hours

Last post 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM by cncdoc. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-30-2008, 4:25 PM 851

DVD Maker stops at 71% encoding for 24+ hours

I used Movie Maker to "Publish to DVD" a recorded TV program from Windows Media Center, it loaded the program into DVD Maker.  Once I clicked for it to burn to disc it encodes up to 71% and then sits there, I've given it up to a day to do something and everytime I've stopped it and restarted the whole process it still "pauses" at 71%.  The computer doesn't freeze, and it doesn't say the program is "Not Responding," it just sits there.  Is this customary to take such a long time?  The program is 1 hr 50 min.  Is there something I can test to better diagnose the problem?
  •  05-30-2008, 2:32 PM 947 in reply to 851

Re: DVD Maker stops at 71% encoding for 24+ hours

I am having this problem as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have the correct codecs installed.

•  05-30-2008, 8:26 PM 949 in reply to 947

A first place to start is to see if you have incompatible source files.  Try this URL:

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/MovieMaker/File_type_compatibility.htm

Another trick that sometimes works is to uncheck the boxes in Windows Movie Maker Tools| Options| Compatibility.  There can be interference from the Movie Maker filters. 

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  06-09-2008, 3:32 PM 964 in reply to 949

I have a similar problem except mine fails at 98.9%, ie the burn stage.  I have looked at all of the threads on this problem both on this DVDMaker aForum and MediaMaker Forums, but nothing works.  For example, I have tried changing the compatibility options, but with no success.  My last attempted remedy was Microsft's article 929461 (as referred to on a related thread), which involves playing around with the registry.  But that too didn't work, and I can't say I was surprised

I am using Vista Home Premium/SP1.

I am 100% sure there is no hardware problem as the DVD drive itself reads DVDs/CDs of all descriptions. The problem only occurs with DVDMaker.  It is able to burn using Roxio. 

The scource material I have tried is from a camcorder DV tapeAVI and from JPeg photos, in each case processed through MediaMaker.

The oddity is that DVDMaker will burn a DVD/RW but not  a DVD+R. 

I am now at my wits end over this problem, and only signed up here to let off steam.   I've had loads of other problems with Vista (various incompatibilty issues rendering previously purchased software useless) but this is by far the worst.  In order to produce DVDs I'm having to resort to  my previous computer with XP.

Microsoft ought to do something urgently about sorting this problem.

•  06-09-2008, 9:01 PM 968 in reply to 964

I am not familiar with the 'MediaMaker' you referred to. 

Most problems with Windows Movie Maker and DVD Maker are caused by incompatible source file types or the codecs used to make them. You may still want to check the file types of your source files.  Have another look at this URL:

You may need to convert your source video to a type compatible with Movie Maker and DVD Maker. 

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  06-10-2008, 1:32 AM 969 in reply to 968

Hi retaxen.  My apologies: I meant Movie Maker not Media Maker.

I had already read the article you refer to.  There should be no problem with file type incompatibility I am using. 

I have a Sony DV tape in a Sony Camcorder and I imported the contents into Movie Maker using “Import from Digital Video Camera” using the WMA setting.  The problem occurs when I click on publish to DVD.  The publish to “this computer” works fine.  It gets to 98.9% and then I get the error message.  I’m using good quality DVDs (Phillips DVD+R, 4.7 Gb).

As noted, I have tried a variety of solutions: different burn speeds; fiddling around with different compatibility options, as per the advice in other threads; closing all other applications; checking drivers; but all to no avail.  The DVD drive reads perfectly well all types of DVDs/CDs, and I am able to burn using it with Roxio, Media Player, Creative Labs MediaSource.  It’s only DVD Maker which causes the trouble. And yet, as I said previously, it works OK when I use a DVD +RW.  It's only when I use a DVD+R that the problem occurs, which strikes me as very odd indeed.

Having given up on DVD Maker, the solution I plan to is to upgrade my present (very limited) Roxio 9LE to the full blown version, Roxio 10.

•  06-11-2008, 6:20 PM 970 in reply to 969

Ok, I see that you have made a way forward with Roxio.  If you should want to try Movie Maker/DVD Maker again, there is a good forum for Movie Maker, per se, at:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/forums/

You could try your question there, as there are good experts with things like importing from camcorders. 

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  06-19-2008, 11:48 PM 977 in reply to 969

I too have this problem with windows dvd maker. I have a Compaq Presario.I called Customer support, and let them do a remote access they ran the same Hardware Diagnostic tools and came up with the same error code as I did. ( That was really annoying when I told them I had already done that.) Anyhow they told me it was a hardware problem and since I was still under warrenty.they sent me a new burner. I installed it and was able to COPY a dvd with power2go. Since that worked I tried windows dvd maker again and what do you know, 99% and I get an error message that it failed.I have burnt data cds,data dvds and audio cds and dvds,all of them worked! Its A software problem with windows dvd maker and I don't see microsoft getting off their *** to fix it. It's a great program when it worked and everyone I've shown my dvds to have loved them and the features.But it's worthless now.ThaNKS FOR LETTING ME VENT.

•  06-22-2008, 7:18 PM 981 in reply to 977

bnjamin_breeg:

I too have this problem with windows dvd maker. I have a Compaq Presario.I called Customer support, and let them do a remote access they ran the same Hardware Diagnostic tools and came up with the same error code as I did. ( That was really annoying when I told them I had already done that.) Anyhow they told me it was a hardware problem and since I was still under warrenty.they sent me a new burner. I installed it and was able to COPY a dvd with power2go. Since that worked I tried windows dvd maker again and what do you know, 99% and I get an error message that it failed.I have burnt data cds,data dvds and audio cds and dvds,all of them worked! Its A software problem with windows dvd maker and I don't see microsoft getting off their *** to fix it. It's a great program when it worked and everyone I've shown my dvds to have loved them and the features.But it's worthless now.ThaNKS FOR LETTING ME VENT.

A first place to start is to see if you have incompatible source (video and/or audio)  files.  Try this URL:

Another trick that sometimes works is to uncheck the boxes in Movie Maker| Tools| Options| Compatibility.

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  06-30-2008, 9:02 AM 1011 in reply to 981

I thought I would get responses in my email, but I must not have set that up, and I just realized a bunch of people have responded. 

There is no way this is a source file compatibility issue.  I record the TV show from Vista's Media Center, the show is in Microsoft's own dvr-ms format.  I've been able to burn about 10 or so dvd's with no problem, but that's only about a 75% success rate. 

Several other shows will freeze at random intervals usually before 70% complete.  When encoding the cpu will be fully utilized, and the next morning when I check on it, it's only 10% utilized and the encoder has stopped at 51% (a DVD normally only takes a few hours to encode and burn), as if it forgot what it was doing.  The shows aren't corrupted as far as I can tell, I can watch them fine from their source file.
  •  06-30-2008, 9:04 AM 1012 in reply to 949

This is a problem in Vista Premium, not XP.
  •  06-30-2008, 6:09 PM 1013 in reply to 1011

elhunko:
    I thought I would get responses in my email, but I must not have set that up, and I just realized a bunch of people have responded. 

There is no way this is a source file compatibility issue.  I record the TV show from Vista's Media Center, the show is in Microsoft's own dvr-ms format.  I've been able to burn about 10 or so dvd's with no problem, but that's only about a 75% success rate. 

Several other shows will freeze at random intervals usually before 70% complete.  When encoding the cpu will be fully utilized, and the next morning when I check on it, it's only 10% utilized and the encoder has stopped at 51% (a DVD normally only takes a few hours to encode and burn), as if it forgot what it was doing.  The shows aren't corrupted as far as I can tell, I can watch them fine from their source file.

From what I can tell, dvr-ms files require conversion to be able to work with Movie Maker or DVD Maker.  Here is an article by PapaJohn about it:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/59/Converting_MPEG-2_Files.aspx

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  06-30-2008, 8:55 PM 1015 in reply to 1013

The article is a solution for Windows XP, but not vista mediacenter edition, most those programs don't even have a vista build. And moviemaker isn't hanging, dvdmaker is, and dvd maker isn't made for XP.  I'm sure dvdmaker burns at a higher quality. 

The fact is that I've been able to successfully burn most dvds, so it can't be a file incompatibility issue, otherwise I wouldn't be able to burn anything.
  •  06-30-2008, 9:31 PM 1017 in reply to 1015

elhunko:
    The article is a solution for Windows XP, but not vista mediacenter edition, most those programs don't even have a vista build. And moviemaker isn't hanging, dvdmaker is, and dvd maker isn't made for XP.  I'm sure dvdmaker burns at a higher quality. 

The fact is that I've been able to successfully burn most dvds, so it can't be a file incompatibility issue, otherwise I wouldn't be able to burn anything.

DVD Maker and Movie Maker are cousins and share many of the same issues.  You might try posting your problem at the Movie Maker forum at:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/forums/

Vista Home Premium
    HP Pavilion - 2 GB
  •  07-11-2008, 1:40 PM 1031 in reply to 1017

Thanks retexan for pointing me to the moviemaker forums.  This thread seems to be the best work-around.  Basically, don't use the publish to dvd option.  Publish it to your computer and then use dvdMaker to burn it.  It's worked fine two times in a row so far.  Hopefully the kink will eventually be worked out between the two programs, this workaround is a longer process.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML