Windows DVD Maker

Mark Coffman's Windows Vista DVD Maker Tutorials and Help

Welcome to Windows DVD Maker Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

DVD encodes - gets to 98.9% burned, then fails

Last post 01-20-2008, 12:53 AM by Diesel. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-17-2007, 12:31 PM 105

DVD encodes - gets to 98.9% burned, then fails

I seem to be having a repeatable problem. I record a program from Windows Media Center. I edit it in Windows Movie Maker (remove the comercials,etc). I then Publish it to DVD. Windows DVD maker fires up and a few clicks later, the encodeing process starts.

I found that if I do a short program (30mins to 1 hour) it works fine. If I burn anything over 1:30 mins, the encoding completes (after a rediculously long period of time), then the burn starts. The burn gets to 98.9% then fails. I have about 6 coasters from the same attempted burn.

I get the same info in Event viewer:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Dvd Maker
    Date:          3/17/2007 11:35:10 AM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      tpfagan2
    Description:
    The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (2131042562) when burning the disc.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Dvd Maker" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="51527">1001</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-03-17T15:35:10.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>447</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>tpfagan2</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>2131042562</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

It would be great to take these already encoded files and burn them to a DVD with some other application, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Things that I have tried:

I changed the options in DVD Maker to get the DVD to burn Medium and Slow - neither option made a difference.

I went into Movie Maker and disabled the AVI Decompresison filter and then published to DVD, that is in process (next post in 3-4 hours or so).

My next attempt is to take DVD burner out of another machine and install it on the Vista Ultimate box and see if I have any better results.

Any other suggestions/ideas are welcome...

•  03-25-2007, 12:30 PM 118 in reply to 105

Re: DVD encodes - gets to 98.9% burned, then fails

Ok, so it's been a coulpe of days and about 6-7 DVD burns later and every DVD has been successful.

It appears that unchecking the AVI decompressior in the Tools -> compatibility tab (Windows Movie Maker) has corrected my problem.

•  03-31-2007, 7:26 PM 136 in reply to 105

Was most probably a codec incompatability.
  •  11-26-2007, 2:47 PM 615 in reply to 105

Have a Toshiba Laptop for 2 months now, with the exact same issue and error mesage. Did you fix the problem and how if so?
  •  11-27-2007, 3:51 PM 618 in reply to 136

If the Error: "Encoding Software...etc" occurs when trying to make a DVD in Windows DVD Maker after creating it in Windows Movie Maker and "Publishing" the movie in the first option: "Publish for viewing on Computer" it is some encoding the WMM creates. 

To solve the problem, click on the same "Publish" botton in Movie Maker then select the "Create a DVD" option. 

I hope this works for you.

•  01-19-2008, 1:48 AM 696 in reply to 615

I have had my Toshiba Satellite (model A105-S4547) for about 6 months and used the DVD burner too many times to count before it began to not work fully.

I have used Windows DVD Makers, as well as other programs with no problems at all, until about 2 months ago.

I had a problem with my DSL service, and after a disruption in that service I noticed some issues with my laptop. (maxed out memory, and some malvare that hijacked my antivirus software) I ended up using the restore disks to put my laptop back to the "out of box" condition - and those problems went away.

I was able to use the burner to make DVD back-ups of my files both before and after the HD wife, so I don't think that incident is to blame for this current situation.

It was about 6 weeks later that I noticed an error message when trying to burn a DVD movie with Windows DVD Maker. Like the person above, it would encode the file, but fail when it came to actually burning the movie to the DVD. I had an error code of "C00D11E6" which was referred to an original error code "C0AA020F" - but no reason why this happened, or what to do about it.

But what made this even more weird was that I could still burn CDs & play DVDs, but not burn a DVD.

I called Toshiba tech support & they first suggested the total restore as a remedy, but after learning I had already done that once, they then told me I must mail them my laptop via a certified UPS location for repair.

Well, it's been two weeks and I haven't done that just yet. Because I found another aspect to this complex problem that might help someone figure out what needs to be done to totally fix this glitch.

For some reason I can't remember, I stuck a blank DVD from a new package into the DVD burner... and it worked just fine!! I had taken the other bundle of 25 back for a refund because I thought the disks were defective.

But when I bought another bundle of that type I now can't get my burner to work on these DVDs.

I have spent about 36 hours straight trying all sorts of things to fix this problem, but so far I haven't figured it out. I'm hoping that the suggestion mentioned above (the unselecting the avi compression option) works.

The DVDs I use are DVD +R from TDK, but I noticed that the ones that still work in my burner are rated as "8X and higher" while the ones that don't work are rated "1X - 16X"

The URL link on the TDK packaging is a dead link, but the website offered no help at all.

I have also tried updating my Windows DVD Maker software as well as the Ulead Movie Factory software, but that hasn't made a difference.

I even tried going into Windows Media Player and the other programs and lowered the speed of the burner to the lowest setting, with no change in the end result.

So far nothing has worked, and after hours of reading through tech support files at both the Toshiba & Microsoft websites, I found this place by doing a google search of the error codes I had been given.

I should note that those "1X - 16X" TDK DVD +R disks used to burn just fine, but for some reason I can't figure out, they won't do the trick now.

I had 3 successful DVDs burn from that bundle of 25 that was the way I found out I had a serious problem with my optical drive - so it's not that my burner can't handle DVDs rated at that speed range.

I went into my Windows Movie Maker and followed the advice mentioned above. When I tried using that program to test out if this fixed the problem with the "1X - 16X" disks or not, I noticed that it saved the process & then opened up Windows DVD Maker to finish the job.

So far it is up to just about 30% in the progress point, so I won't know if that solved the problem or not until the process switches from encoding to burning at the 80% completed mark...

I'll let you know what happens - either way.

I promise that the follow-up message won't be as long as this one is. I apologize for the novel, but I wanted to get everything possible mentioned so that someone might be able to use it all to solve the problem. Hopefully, what was mentioned above has already done the job... but if not, at least you guys have tons of info from my situation that might be of help.
  •  01-20-2008, 12:53 AM 703 in reply to 696

Burn didn't work after using that hint from above.

Received this error message:

380385-26-2A037303

Something about a problem with the power settings... so I'm going to set the thing for "best performance" instead of letting windows decide for me... along with lowering the burner speed to 8X or lower just in case.

I'll keep you posted, but hopefully someone has an answer for me soon.
View as RSS news feed in XML