Windows DVD Maker

Mark Coffman's Windows Vista DVD Maker Tutorials and Help

Welcome to Windows DVD Maker Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Windows DVD Maker does not recognize .avi format?!

Last post 09-13-2011, 3:27 AM by benwon. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-16-2007, 7:53 AM 100

Windows DVD Maker does not recognize .avi format?!

Hello all,

I am new to Vista and DVD Maker, so I could use a little help.  I have been able to successfully burn DVDs from .wmv format, but when I try to add an .avi file it always gives an error message, stating that the file is either not valid or is corrupt.  Anyone know if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a fix available?  My digital camera makes video clips in .avi, and I really want to make DVDs from those clips.  Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Jay

•  03-16-2007, 12:23 PM 103 in reply to 100

Re: Windows DVD Maker does not recognize .avi format?!

though i too am new to dvd maker i believe that is so. heck i discovered this site while searching for a solution to the .avi problem. has anyone found a a way to get DVD maker to recognize .avi format?
  •  03-18-2007, 11:13 PM 109 in reply to 100

Sounds like ya  need a dvd decoder.

I use this  and it works for everything including sound.

I had some problems with my windows media center closing down when i attempted to acces my video library and this fixed that problem to!

ffdshow:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

It has the downloads for all versions of windows.

enjoy!

•  03-19-2007, 11:28 PM 114 in reply to 109

Thanks a lot!  Will download and try it now...
  •  04-01-2007, 8:47 AM 145 in reply to 109

I was getting errors trying to create a DVD using the Nero codec installed on Vista.

I downloaded and installed the ffdshow codec and it works a treat!

Thanks!

•  01-04-2008, 3:06 PM 670 in reply to 109

Thank you SO MUCH! I have been trying to fix this problem all night and all day. Bless you :)
  •  01-16-2008, 4:06 PM 686 in reply to 100

it will work if you get an AVI codecs but be careful some of the will crash on you. And may Crash you DVD maker but all you have to do then is dealt your codecs and look for anther one.
  •  02-19-2009, 12:49 AM 1490 in reply to 100

I am new to Windows DVD Maker as well, bu ti did find a tutorial on how to fix this problem.

While WDM is adverised as being able to work with AVI files, it is a good idea to get a codec to do this. I was recommended to get the DivX codec from www.divx.com

Install this codec using the free download on the homepage. You don't have to install all components in the bundle. Actually, you can get away with just the codec if you want, when the option to choose components comes up during the installation process. This will allow you to load AVI items to your WDM project and then burn them on disc.

All in all, I am not entirely pleased with this software. I think Windows DVD Maker is in real need of a face-lift and update. There are too many kinks for me, personally.

Happy burning, and God bless!

LPrath4463

•  10-01-2009, 2:07 AM 1993 in reply to 100

I got the program but how do i use it so that windows dvd maker takes my avi's. I downloaded it but i don't know what to do from here.
  •  01-16-2010, 4:21 PM 2476 in reply to 100

Hey Everyone....i too am New to this.  I have the same Problem Jay has.  And i tried downloading the ffdecoder thingy, but it...and maybe i'm special---but it appears that its not user Friendly and i have no idea on how to apply this software where it can help me get my Videos valid and without that silly corruption nonsense.  HELP!!!!!

thanks Guys
    Cam
  •  08-07-2011, 5:17 AM 4455 in reply to 2476

Sorry for bringing up an old post, I just joined this site... Seems as though there is a glitch to the WDM... I use WinX Converter, and convert MP4 files to AVI to let WDM see the files. well on my parent's VISTA it gives this Error message; "Location".avi is not valid or corrupted.

I did the 100% accurate same processes, computer next to laptop, with my parents DT being Vista and my LT being Windows 7 step by step. 7 works perfectly fine, no problems, VISTA, DOA...

WinX Converter and DVD Ripper are well worth the $45.95 they ask for... also after you install it, make a stink about how you can't clone DVD to DVD and they might throw in a DVD Cloner program for free, they did for us... the program, well better to see it...

Yes the video shows convert to cell phone and to youtube, but I found that the "To Youtube" cuts the videos down into 15 second intervals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkDs1o7S8DM
  •  08-07-2011, 10:56 PM 4458 in reply to 4455

I've just joined this forum too ... and replied to a related thread: DVD Maker won't burn DVDs - Fails every time at 98.9%

Of course, now I find that this thread is more compatible with my issue. So ...

I'm using VISTA and I can convert my AVI files to WMV and make DVD Maker work. BUT ... I shouldn't have to!

I re-post ...

This is the first 2011 msg I've come across after having DVD Maker fail. Most other forum posts go way further back.

Same thing ... I used DVD maker to burn AVI files to DVD. Now I cannot open the project files (.msdvd) saved in DVD Maker because, when I double click the relevant projects, I get (for each AVI movie in the project):

.avi is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported.

IT'S IN THE .MSDVD FILE! How did it get there?

The AVI files play in Media Player and DivX Plus Player but will not load into Movie Maker or DVD Maker.

Yes ... I've downloaded (and uninstalled) multiple AVI codecs, checked and unchecked combinations of compatibility boxes in Movie Maker, read on-line forums until my brain hurts.

Nothing puts me back to that wondrous state of a few months ago when DVD Maker just simply read the AVI files, assembled the projects and burned the DVD's.

Einstein: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Microsoft's twist: make the user try different things continuously to try to get the original result. Same outcome: insanity.
  •  08-07-2011, 11:38 PM 4459 in reply to 4458

I just saw on this forum's main page something about codecs u download.... tomorrow i'll try them
  •  09-01-2011, 9:39 AM 4536 in reply to 100

hi my name is moonjill. I use Windows DVD maker and has no problem. But with files, you would have to convert them say like Divx Plus Converter which I use and I made a few DVDs. I think the formats for all converters is mpg4, wmv, avi. the best converter I use is Windows Live Movie maker. Just rename the file once you save your movie, then convert it with DPC (Divx Plus Converter into "Home Theater" mode. After you converted that to Divx format, it should work on the Windows Movie Maker. I learned these tips, and it WORKS for me. I love making DVDs. Especially anime episodes! So there you go guys. Try my method. Divx Plus Converter - you need to download from http://www.divx.com  and Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7/XP.  So once you convert the files on WMV first, then goto DPC.
  •  09-13-2011, 3:27 AM 4585 in reply to 4536

You could download a new video player.

____

my website is about PPT to PDF, it can help you convert PPT to PDF and convert DjVu to PDF. The software is a powerful PDF tool, you can free download it now.
View as RSS news feed in XML